First Aid Merit BadgeIf you are planning to attend or staff a Wood Badge course this year then you will need to have an up-to-date Annual Health and Medical Record parts A and B and part C for you to attend the course.

If you are part of Cub Scouts then you are familiar with Parts A and B. More than likely you have been asked to fill one of these out by your Pack before a campout. This is easy to do since you can do it all on your own.

Part C is the more difficult one. It is required for participants in any event that exceeds 72 consecutive hours, for all high-adventure base participants, or when the nature of the activity is strenuous and demanding. Service projects or work weekends may fit this description. Part C is to be completed and signed by a certified and licensed heath-care provider—physician (MD or DO), nurse practitioner, or physician assistant. More than likely that means you need to schedule an appointment and get a checkup.

That is what I did today, I went to see my physician for my annual checkup and while I was there I had him fill out my form. This form will be good for a year and when I see him next year I will have him fill it out again.

Make sure that when you see your physician this year that you take your Annual Health and Medical Record Parts A and B and Part C with you. A little planning now will save you the agony of having to do it at the last minute or worse be sent away from a course because you don’t have a completed form.

There is also a Part D which is not required for Wood Badge. It is required to participate at any of the high-adventure bases such as Philmont, Northern Tier, Florida Sea Base and Summit Bechtel Reserve. It is also required for any unit high-adventure backcountry activity.